Sunday, March 7, 2010

Blog return - the new journey


Above the crowded streets - from Montmartre

Having explored content possibilities and had much fun playing with words and images, I will now have to launch into more detailed exploration of format, design, linking and feeds. I enjoyed blogging for Information Literacy studies and promised myself to continue the frequent reflection for the second half of 2009. Of course, without compelling factors such as uni marking schedules weighing on my conscience, I let reflection slip under the pressures of Strategic Management and Childrens' Lit studies and too many projects for work. I had not arrived at considering blogging (or any other aspect of social networking) part of everyday life, work and study. I admit the value of most social networking tools, but am no digital native. These communication modes are still a fashion accessory in my life ... good fun, cool for surprising the kids but requiring way too much time out of my real life! To succeed with this chosen uni study on info applications of 2.0 tools, I shall have to decrease the divergence of real and virtual life and adopt the virtual info gathering & info disseminating habits I recommend to my team at work. My most valuable learning path would be to try out a range of info tools on the larger team and evaluate success. The organisation has moved to blogs and LibraryThing and tagging as primary tools, but staff resistance is high below the organisational level. We are generally a group of passive resistors ... too many other things to do to devote time to mastering 2.0 and engendering enthusiasm, and too many people from pre-digital generations.
Having spent time mounting digital photos from my recent adventure into the quiet european winter, it's time to navigate the overcrowded streets of twitter, facebook, delicious and flickr and wikis and more ... even something inexplicably called "ning" ... hard to take anything so close to Goonspeak seriously, but maybe that's the idea ... I'll find out ... or perhaps I wont ... my avatar will ...

No comments: