Morning Tues 23rd
Daylight saving must finish soon; every morning darker. Soft blue grey smudge over the city; dawning cloud? smog?
Sunday on the Harbour there was only sea spray between us and aquamarine water and blue skies; cloud swirls fit for Impressionists. Staff picnic day on Shark Island couldn’t have been better, although in the city out of the breeze it was hot.
Inf506 colleagues’ public flickr streams catalogue wonderful library developments and some great equipment, so I have spent time loading some of our picnic day photos as an example of a non capital expenditure morale booster. I did think I had flickr mastered, but I think not. Half of the photos did not upload because the interface froze over the mb size of my Lumix photos. I have now downloaded the new flickr uploader! and noted ‘minimise’ in the drop down menu. Will this minimise before uploading? I had noticed an option to upload via piknik using the basic uploader, but the option was not appearing consistently. Obviously I am missing a step and may have to put the question out there on inf506 troubleshooting. For me, learning by exploration is effective but overly slow and frustrating. You do not have to be a potential 2.0 addict to spend hours on the laptop.
I have now implemented and uploaded to a private family group. Still only 3 members out of 8 initial invitations, which is a direct reflection of people’s already overloaded time and interest levels, not that they don’t take heaps of photos. Proving that the group offers efficiencies for all members rather than just another step to identifying limited numbers of photos for web storage and committing flickr rather than picasa or others, this is the key to participation. In general, family members seem to have embraced flickr, but ceased uploading 2 years ago, perhaps frustrated by the monthly limit for the non-pro free version.

No comments:
Post a Comment