Authors such as Elizabeth Black (2007 p.2) draw attention to Tim O'Reilly's 2005 definition of 2.0 as a collective of 7 principles: web as content 'platform'; application of 'collective intelligence'; use of 'specialised databases' that evolve continuously in response to user data; therefore, no more 'software release cycles'; 'lightweight programming' allowing user creativity to govern the end product; software that facilitates connection of multiple devices; all enabling 'rich user experiences'.
Black also presents the more straightforward views of Tim Berner-Lees and John Dvorak from 2006. Whilst Berner-Lees reiterates his original vision for the web as enhancing people connectivity and collaboration and does not accept 'web 2.0' as different from his original concept, Dvorak identifies the major distinguishing feature of 'web 2.0' as 'self-service' (p. 3). Dvorak argues that although web 2.0 tools are increasingly 'efficient' for the user, they are not new technology. He sees 'evolution' rather than 'revolution' (p. 4).
Social networking is evolving constantly, but some tools and formats have persisted and been adopted for organisational as well as personal use. Blogs, wikis and tagging are in widespread use in Australian libraries, certainly for public use, increasingly for in-house use. Contributions can be moderated, but do not require a gatekeeper. Social networking allows for instant updates. However, currency and reliability of information depend on intelligent and frequent participation of the network members.
Black, E. (2007) 'Web 2.0 and Library 2.0', p. 1-14 in Nancy Courtney (ed.) Library 2.0 and beyond, Westport, CT.: Libraries Unlimited.
In 2008 I participated in the State Library of New South Wales web 2.0 course, but did not complete due to family leave. I have used my blog as a learning tool and learning journal for 2.0 and CSU courses. Although it is full of personal observations, I have not pursued personal interests other than setting up feeds and links. I have enjoyed making notes on readings, choosing photos and websites for reflection and briefly evaluating work practices. Although my Flickr account has been largely unused, I have been inspired by the class group to set up a private 'family group'. I am familiar with basic wiki functionality and have contributed and edited in wikipedia. I have not explored facebook, myspace, remote gaming or 2nd life, except to admire others' creations, and I have yet to be convinced of the value of twitter. I had not used my delicious account and remain wary of optimistically accumulating resources, feeds and alerts to the point of rapid overload.
I am hoping to build on my basic knowledge and use of flickr, blogs, wikis, bookmarking and tagging and gain an appreciation of appropriate use and limitations. I am an irregular user of web 2.0 tools and recently have been more consumer than creator. Workplace information is now disseminated via blogs, rather than print or digital newsletters, but it is sadly quicker to scan posts than consider and add comments. Email is returning to its more effective use for quick or simple communications and as an alert to linked information. I have much to learn about creative interaction of web 2.0 tools, workplace applications and ensuring necessary interest and 'audience' engagement.

No comments:
Post a Comment