Monday, April 12, 2010

Twitter trends

summer clouds over Sydney Harbour - Shark Island

As much as I love clouds of all kinds, I am generally disappointed by the results of Tweet Trends ... as the majority of tweets are trivial, I cannot imagine why I thought top tweet subjects would not be trivial! What may not be trivial are the implications. Trends hold interest for longitudinal studies of social interaction and are being watched in the political arena in the United States and Britain. The hypothesis: there is a direct relationship between volume of tweets about any one candidate and that candidate's success at the polls. Related and already demonstrated (apologies to the source): tweet volume has a direct correlation to film success at the box office.
'Mashable' has published the Easter week trends where unsurprisingly Easter came in first. I contributed to fb trend for 'Easter', but not Twitter. Tweeting must be the most time effective form of festive communication, and likely the most impersonal! Can Twitter really be considered a social facilitator?
In the week in question, political debate in the UK came in at no. 8. Is there a watch on Australian politics?

No comments: