Tuesday, April 6, 2010

sl journeys

"exploring the blue" @CSU ... t-shirt still pink, but no more belt!

Morning Tues 6th April

Misty pale blue skies with an autumn chill. No ‘walk on the wild side’ over the Easter break, rather a time to settle and make purpose driven excursions into sl. First goal has been to change some clothes. ‘Girlie dressing’ and dolls have never interested me much in first life, so I have been easily distracted. Spent an evening wondering at expensive offers of new body, skin and hair in ‘Alady Island 2010 Expo’. Having reassessed the point of the exercise in information literacy terms, I returned to gather a free t-shirt and jeans successfully. I later fancied changing the colour and length of the t-shirt, but to no avail; initial instructions clearly stated ‘cannot be modified’.

Sl is an exercise in discovering, following and remembering relevant instructions; a mixture of info literacy for games and real life involving both strategy and trial and error. It is a friendly, well-meaning, although not totally safe environment where the individual is left to find meaningful journeys, collaborations and contacts.

In first life travel it is useful not to stand out in an unknown place. I’m not in favour of the homogenous avatar fashion look, but probably phip should lose the gamer’s ‘helmet’ and acquire a thick mane of hair (staying blue will be excellent) and a trendier ‘shirt’. I’m comfortable with the jeans and boots for exploring … is she?

No comments: