Thursday, June 12, 2008

slow progress through lands of wikis and feeds

Studying up on wikis and rss feeds has been very diverting but very informative. It is quite extraordinary publishing wikipedia contributions more or less direct to the web and despite beginner nerves I can understand how it could become quite addictive. For those of us with an eye for detail, a penchant for correctness and preference for a very sedentary lifestyle wiki editing could offer a new internet obsession. I now feel compelled to return to my wikipedia additions to the "North Turramurra" article and correct the referencing. Although I footnoted my text, the formatting makes it look as though the content mostly came from another source. I owe it to Les Thorne, author of my source, to recorrect!
It is confronting to read that the German wikipedia is rated more accurate than print comparisons. When I have quoted this to various acquaintances the immediate response is to point to assumed cultural characteristics! Although it should have been obvious I was surprised to find that the content of different language wikipedias is entirely different ... of course it all depends on the contributors ... thinking that other language wikipedias are simply the English model in translation harks back to acute linguistic colonialism! Where the English print world is often dominated now by American themes, wikipedia and general wiki publishing may offer a new cultural democracy.

No comments: