I have spent a very restrained number of minutes on youtube .. this may change when I have spare time and the net freely available! ... I am very enthusiastic about the possibilities of short video exposure for various library uses. Mosman has done a wonderful job of simultaneously archiving and publicising their literary talk series. Paul Brunton speaks so well and so warmly of his subject!
There seem to be many unexplored opportunities for SLNSW. Blogs and video series for publicising and opening new acquisitions, exhibitions and service directions for public participation and comment; perhaps it is possible to include not only bookcovers in web catalogues, but also video clips from controversially underused collections such as our 35mm film collection? Feature items, such as the State Library of Tasmania shows on its home page, need not be confined to print images; video or sound trailers may also be valuable where copyright permits ...
I captured experimental footage on my small digital camera at the WinterMagic solstice festival in Katoomba last weekend, Saturday 21st June ... various groups of colourful dancers warming up for the parade ... hopefully I can add this little piece of winter celebration ...
In the meanwhile I have enjoyed watching Japanese snow monkeys at Jigokudani,Yudanaka Onsen, Nagano,Japan celebrating their own winter ways ...
and
Northern Japan in winter ... will have to wait for next time in the Northern Hemisphere ...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Good ideas, maybe someone could start a blog on eg Flinders or May Gibbs or (put historical character here) using books, manuscripts, letters, etc from the SL collection, to give a 'realtime' feel to the lives of these people and the events they were involved in.
Doing video docos using photos like the guy who did the American Civil War doco or the recent thingy on SBS (sorry, memory freeze, you know the one I mean). Or the history of particular areas of Sydney such as the North Shore or Eastern Suburbs. Lots of potential there, Ms redfox. You should prod the appropriate people a bit harder to get this sort of thing moving.
Ian McLeod (LL - Library Lover)
Post a Comment