Thursday, June 3, 2010

Twitter friends and trends


twitter friends network browsing

Wednesday evening with Twitter

Few tweets only on ‘second life’, although discovered an amusing and informative blog by Dane Hollows chronicling his learning adventures in sl. ‘Information literacy’ has yielded many more tweets, including a reference to a 2010 Norwegian report on student habits of net research … one answer to accessing info literacy research published in Scandinavia … turn to Twitter!

Tweet from KMers.org (Twitter chats for knowledge professionals) linked to a transcript of a Twitter discussion about conflicting and parallel roles of knowledge management and info literacy.

Also suggested info lit resources:

an exploration of info literacy skills via accounts of real life exploration for school students and teachers

and a Slideshare presentation from Sheila Webber from the Oeiras a Ler Conference May 2010

Hashtags do not seem to be commonly used in tweets and when used are often inconsistent. As could be expected, writers on info literacy and associated topics do make the effort:

#infolit, #KM, #knowledge management.

Disappointed that I cannot survey a topic across t

he globe. Can survey tweets in a town, but thought Twittervision may provide subject access.

Little did I know!

Now Thursday night and ...

I have caught up on the current Chirp and been convinced that Twitter's fortunes are on the up and up, discovered the 401 Mashups now based on Twitter, trawled my way through Twitter Map.TV, Geochirp and TrendsMap, added some more pertinent education and media ‘friends’ to follow via Who Should I Follow and Twitter Friends Network Browser,

set up a comprehensive Tweetdeck linked to my Facebook account. There are at least 5 more mashups I would like to explore, haiku included.

All enjoyable but sadly convinced me that most of Twitter comment really is vacuous personal trivia ...

No comments: