Wednesday, June 2, 2010

playing with 2.0

Wednesday 2nd June

Finished and loaded my ‘adventures in second life’ slide program onto Slideshare last night. I would like to add a sound track from Hobo Bordeaux’ or Rumpunch’s MySpace (with their permission for the ‘publicity’!) but it has taken me too long already and uploading seems to alter the timing. It is all a steep learning curve. Slideshare seems to delete the preset timing and has run a few of the words together … but it has been fun. I sent a fb link from Slideshare, but it loads to the ‘Profile’ not the ‘Wall’ so I am not sure that it will be noticed. The ‘share’ option attached to that post indicated that friends could be messaged … still nothing showed on the wall … there’s so much functionality I have yet to understand, so have just added a link on my wall. I was loathe to Twitter but I think to further the ‘experiment’, why not? I seem to have a few followers. It will be so interesting to see if there is any response and ascertain any RTs if that occurs. With more time, it could have been interesting to track the spread, if any, of such a simple idea. 24 hours later, Slideshare quotes 28 views but no comments. There are a lot more learned and entertaining docos on sl.

Twitter tools could do excellent tracking and mapping work. Intending to follow up on volume and source of tweets and fb traffic for SLNSW, BMCC Libraries and Vivid Sydney Festival. Having started to follow a number of librarians and information thinkers, I hope I can now get a picture of relevant tweets; perhaps do a subject mapping for ’information literacy’ or ‘second life’ … and how far reaching is the English language? A lot of information literacy debate occurs in Europe and Scandinavia as well as South East Asia … and I must check on China … if I am to follow one of the tenets of Twitter, I should ask for TwitAssistance … it would certainly be interesting to build up a picture of ‘global’ information literacy or 2.0 in education discussion, even if only in English. The constant limitation is that the topic has to be tweeted to track. How much credibility does Twitter have? The associated tools and potential are great, the potential for promoting substantial discussion, perhaps very small. Twitter is a wonderful catalyst for publicising discussion and research on other platforms; otherwise its reputation is poor and its use uncertain outside of marketing.

No comments: