Saturday, June 5, 2010

fb for class collaboration

collecting a post from fb discussion on the value of just that!
Phillipa Barlow Hi Lyn and Sue, I have felt guilty for a while that I have my tulips and not myself on my icon. I know it's bad form but I have that little icon on all social network memberships. I put myself on 506 flickr because I am very wary of real photos on fb. Like Sue, I was very wary of fb fullstop and saw not much more value in it than Twitter! Over the last couple of months I have come to appreciate Twitter and its potential (I must check what the correlation between the British election results and predictions was) and now routinely check fb after email. Am I a permanent convert? will I fold my fb account and leave the kids in peace once this course is over? ... it certainly has its uses and it has kept me more in touch with the immediate family than before. I also like the facility of loading images, files, links etc. The facility that would be useful is one that Yammer (micro-blogging) has ... replies to posts pull the post plus all replies back to the top of the feed ... it isnt important for the personal fb page but I agree it would be valuable for class discussion.
fb has been great for the class. My other subject forum pales in comparison. Only last year I thought that was great as previously I had been used to nothing. In 2009, one subject required small groups within the class to get discussion started on a set topic allocated to them. This worked very well. My current forum is really quite lacking in interaction and discussion. fb has made interaction more informal, more 'realistic' and more productive. It has felt like a very supportive atmosphere and has been a practical demonstration of the collective mind and collaborative learning. 'Participating' in others' progress has given me more confidence than I would have found by myself to play around with 2.0 tools ... although the only thing I have learned is that everyday there are more tools with more capability appearing ... strategies for dealing with the pace of the evolving info landscape may be one of the critical 2.0 literacies.
Re the phone, should I own up that I just mostly use my little prepaid card phone for txt ... and yes, I used to think mbl phones were eminently missable as well! next, the iPhone :) :)
May 11 at 12:10am · Delete Post

No comments: